24 March 2014

Keeping It Real

Happy Monday bloggers!! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Today I am sharing a wonderful blog post from Cathy Zielske 'I'm Bringing Sexy Back'. There is such a fine line between sharing your personal life and sharing too much of your personal life on your blog... Cathy Zielske and Ali Edwards are my hero's when it comes to this subject! They are real, straightforward, sincere and share their raw honesty! As an empty nester, I don't get out as much as I used to... and you begin to wonder... is there something wrong with me? Am I the only person who does this? Well, thanks to Cathy... she always helps me keep my perspective on track!!

From Cathy's blog post 04 March 2014


There is a moment in any given day—you know the one—it's when you realize that it's nearing the end of Day 2 with no shower and you shrug and say to yourself, "What's the point? I smell just fine."

You may or may not know this, but I don't get out much. Oh sure, I go to the grocery store. I hit Costco once every few weeks. I drive my kids to and from school. 

But between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., I'm a self-employed person who is trying to carve out as much earnable time as possible.

In other words, time spent fussing over how I look isn't exactly time well spent.

Granted, I do carve out time every day for exercise. This has been a fairly non-negotiable daily task since January 1. Right now, that means treadmill time every day at 8:30 a.m. No, I'm not running at all. I'm just walking and getting as many steps in my day as possible. 

Many days, I finish on the treadmill, make my breakfast smoothie (almond milk in place of the dairy) and it's already time to sit down and wade through email and adjust my schedule for the day.

Why change out of the orange sweatshirt?

It isn't until the time when I begin actually interacting with people later in the day that I realize, "OH, shit… I am in the same clothes from yesterday."

Most of the time, still, I don't really care.

I'm not exactly sure why this is. Maybe I can attribute it to doing what is actually needed. If a shower is truly needed, believe me, I'll be the first in line.

But sometimes, work and laundry and meal planning and exercise take precedence.

I'm very fortunate to be able to make a living as a self-employed person. Not a day goes by when I'm not grateful for this experience; this set of circumstances.

True, there I things that I did and studied that have helped me to be able to do what I do. Having a degree in journalism and working as an editor in my younger years taught me how to write with clarity. Learning graphic design and computers on the job (in order to keep my job in the 1990s) opened up an entirely new world to me, one where study and application could actually translate to an entirely new career.

Add to that some really amazing mentors who taught me more about how to work with people than anything else, something that I believe is really the most critical component in any worker's skill set.

But still, I am lucky.

Combine that with work I'm trying to do on myself so I can actually be a better all around human and it leaves very little time for style and fashion.

For right now, I'm good.

And it's not like I wear the same orange sweatshirt every day.

I mean, I have two of them.

No comments: